The Style Prodigy DIY: Faux Fur Coat

Wednesday, December 23, 2015



I’ve been a big fan of watching DIY tutorial videos on YouTube and always thought and daydreamed of creating those kinds of videos myself. Weeks ago, I finally had time to film and edit; so, before the year ends I can fulfill one of my goals. This is my first ever DIY tutorial on my YouTube channel and hopefully not the last! I have a notebook filled with future DIY video ideas and I really hope I’ll accomplish them all :) 

Recently, our block planned a Christmas costume party and I honestly had no idea what to wear. I really wanted a Scream Queens-inspired costume (I am so obsessed with the show!!!) but I find these faux fur coats from H&M, Zara and the like really expensive. To think that I’ll just wear the faux fur coat during the party, I really don’t want to spend thousands for it.

I thought of an idea to create the faux fur jacket instead. I remember a year ago, while I was shopping for fabric, I stumble upon someone who was selling faux fur! I just ignored it that time because I was so focused on buying the perfect marsala fabric for my dress. 

On December 6, 2015, I went to Divisoria to buy the faux fur. It was chaos. The entire place was filled with Christmas obsessed people. I went to Divisoria around 1pm; I got home around 5pm. I also snapped a photo while I was stuck in Ylaya Street. I was insane! I ended up buying only one yard of faux fur. Initially it’s around PHP1,000 but you may ask for a discount to either PHP700 or even PHP500 if you are really persistent. 

Here are the materials I used:

Manila Paper 



Transparent Paper 
For the transparent paper, I used a medium sized one so I needed to create two separate halves of the body piece and tape them together. You may buy a bigger transparent paper so that you will not have to tape the two half patterns together anymore



Pins 



Thread and Needle 



A jacket for reference 
If you have a faux fur coat, I think it’s best to use that for reference.



Pencil and/or Highlighter 



Ruler 



Scissors 



1 yard of Faux Fur Fabric 
Initially, I think it is best if the faux fur direction of the entire coat is facing down, due to the small amount of fabric I bought, the fur direction was all over the place. If you want you may buy at least 1 and a half or 2 yard of faux fur



First, I traced one side of the jacket reference on the Manila paper. Remember to add a ½ inch seam allowance for the pattern. 

I then transferred the pattern to the transparent paper. If the transparent paper was big enough, I would have folded it and traced the reference from the Manila paper to make the body piece. But instead, I just traced the half pattern and taped them together to make an entire body piece. 

Trace the body piece pattern on the back of the faux fur fabric. We will need two body pieces. One body piece (the one that will be placed on the front area will be cut in half, you may also add zipper if you like)

For the next step, you will trace the sleeve of the jacket reference on the Manila paper with a ½ inch seam allowance. Fold the transparent paper and trace the sleeve pattern. Like the body pieces, we will need two sleeve patterns. 

Then, trace the sleeve pattern on the back of the faux fur fabric. 

Start pinning the sides of the body pieces together to prepare for sewing. Pin also the sleeves to the body pieces. Start hand sewing the sides after pinning. You may use a sewing machine but if the faux fur you will be using is big and fluffy, it is advisable to just hand sew it. 

After following these steps, you now have your very own faux fur jacket :) 






I hope you enjoy this tutorial and if you have any DIY requests, leave a comment below! 

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2016 x

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hi may i know where u bought that very nice faux fur fabric? Thank u so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you buy the faux fur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Where in tabora street if you remember? It would be a great help thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact location. When I went back to Tabora recently, I had a hard time finding the place where they sell faux fur :( But I will update you if ever I stumble upon a shop selling faux fur along Tabora :)

      Delete
  4. Hi! I got inspired to do this last week and gone to divisoria. I bought mine in pasilyos, near ylaya st or tabora, for 500php per yard only. Actually it was discounted. From 550 to 500.

    For those who want to go in divisoria, go there in ordinary days. Less people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much per yard? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine 700 per yard. But I know you can ask for discounts upto 550-500 ;) Goodluck!

      Delete

Recent Youtube Video

 photo LBS HR_zpszahfeh9h.jpg

Follow @artworksbyluiza

 photo ABL HR_zps3gle81ux.jpg

Style Inspo for the month

 photo Bella_zpsn2ij6brl.jpg

Follow @izaartillero on instagram

Subscribe